I have been such a big slacker! So sorry! Anyway I was thinking about what idea I wanted to share and I decided to share this.
I decided last week, that I wanted to teach my three little ones more about Money. I have a nine year old, seven year old, and a four year old. The nine year old is delayed and so she is just starting learning about money. So I came up with this idea.
I got jars and filled them with different candies. I then put prices on each of the jars. I have been using real money to encourage my kids to do things that they need to be doing. My nine year old has a real problem bringing her homework to and from school. My seven year old has a real problem with anger, and my four year old doesn't want to color or do any kind of preschool. So now they get money for this. They also get money for doing extra jobs, being kind to others, etc. Mondays and Fridays I open the store. They have to figure out the money (right now they require a lot of help with that) and then they get the candy, that they had enough money to buy.
Already I am finding that people are happier, my house is cleaner, we are being more responsible, and we are learning about money. And since they are really little candies, I don't feel bad about the amount of sugar they are getting.
This is how I set it up:
.10 two jelly bellies
.30 one gummy worm
.75 two gummy rings
1.00 Dum Dum
2.00 Mini Candy bar
3.00 Other little candies
Yes these are really high prices for things. I am very generous with the money as well, so it equals out. My goal is for them to be counting money, so by having it high, it makes them need to count more. Also my 12 year old does this also. You would think she would be mad, at how high the prices are. I have told her she can just put her money in savings if she doesn't like it. She does about 1/2 and 1/2.




1 comment:
I love this idea! I have been playing with the idea of having a family store- and giving them tickets- I like the idea of using real money...
I'm so happy that you do this Andrea!!
Thank you!!
Post a Comment