I have always believed that if you have an overly picky child, you can change it. I have had two overly picky children and for a couple of years every meal we sat and sat and sat while that child refused to eat it. My husband and I have served Dinner for breakfast because someone wouldn't eat their food at night. I have an extremely skinny and when I got her Malnourished child and I have forced her to sit and eat a good amount for her tender age and her little belly. And now I have 5 great kids that eat anything and everything. (But having said that I must say that everyone of them has one thing that they hate and that's o.k., because it is ONE thing) Here are my tips for curing this annoying behavior:
1. Make them try EVERYTHING on the plate that you are offering. At least two bites per item.
2. Don't make something else for them to eat because they refuse to eat what you made.
3. Don't have a Mom and Dad healthy meal and then mac and cheese for the kids. My kids eat what we eat: Shrimp, Salmon, Vegetables, Curry, Chowder, Spinach, etc.
4. You are the parent, so stay in control. If you are worried that your child has not got enough nourishment because they wouldn't eat your food, do 1 of 2 things. First serve the meal for the next meal, to take away the control that they have in the situation. Eventually they will eat it. 2. If that is too strong for you then buy some ensure shakes and put them in the fridge. When stuff like this happens, then say well because you didn't eat you have to drink this yucky shake. Vanilla is the worst flavor so Vanilla is what you buy.
5. Be a good example yourself. I hate cold slaw. But at restaurant I was served it, and took the opportunity to tell my kids how much I hate cold slaw, but that I would eat my two bites because that is how I roll. If you are telling them to eat a healthy snack and you are eating candy, you are not being a very good example.
6. In the Summer plant a garden and have them help. Get them so excited for the veggies that are growing. Help them harvest the garden and help them make snacks and meals with them. I plant grape tomatoes so my kids will be playing see them and eat them. And of course I plant them close to the play area.
7. Talk about why your body needs certain foods and why.
8. It is o.k. if they don't like a certain thing and you adjust a little. Like my oldest hated gravy forever. Do I care if she has gravy on her potatoes? No. She just ate them plain and loved it. So if it is something like that I did bend a little.
9. Always serve a well balanced meal. My Mom was so good at this. She always had a vegetable, a main course, fruit, and a side salad. Because I lived on a farm, sometimes we would just have vegetables for dinner: Corn, fried egg plant, green beans, sliced tomatoes, chard cooked, and Zucchini Casserole. In a situation like that you learn to like vegetables because that is what is served. I am glad my mom always cooked good food for us to eat.
10. It is a control issue. Keep the control or you will regret letting them have it when you are cooking four meals for dinner to keep up with the demands of your kids.
11. No one at my table is allowed to be mean about what I cooked. You don't have to love it, but you do have to keep your opinions to yourself.
Anyway those are some tips that I have learned. I hope this helps if you are in need of this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment