Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ukrainian Eggs


Well I guess now that St. Patrick's Day is over, we are next going to have April Fool's and Easter. When I was a teenager my sister had me come over to make these really cool eggs. Above is just a picture of what they look like-not my actual eggs, because I have yet to dig out my Easter stuff yet. Anyway first you picked out a design and hollowed out your egg. Then you waxed everything you wanted to stay white. Then you dipped the whole egg in a yellow dye. Then you wax everything you want to be yellow. Then you dip the egg in the next lightest color. And so on and so on. When you get to the end, you get a candle and melt the wax off your egg. This is a really fun activity for OLDER children or ADULTS. They also look really cool as a decoration in your house for Easter. Anyway I looked up where you can get it and found this website that you can buy the kits. So if you are interested go to:
www.polartcenter.com once there click on Easter on the left hand side, and then Egg Decotating Kits, Pisanki/Pysanky

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Me Again: It's also fun to click on the eggs they are selling. Under Easter, then Pisanki Eggs, then Decorated Blown. It is amazing to see how much they cost and the detail on each egg. The highest price I could find on this website was 450.00 Maybe I could make some money :)

Christensen family said...

These eggs are really pretty.

Jana said...

WOW! That sounds like so much fun! I dunno if I am up to the challenge this year, but wow!