This activity is a cooking activity that the pioneers did all the time. But for me it has an even better memory. My grandpa made this with us on a regular basis growing up. It was always a big event. We always LOVED it. It is one of my fondest memories about my grandpa. He died when I was 14 but I have memories at 13 of him making this taffy for me and all my church group. So I thought that I might do a little Pioneer activity with my kids and then tell them all about their Grandpa Great that they never met. I don't know if this is the exact recipe, but it is close.

Old Fashioned Honey Candy
In a heavy saucepan boil 2 C honey to the hard ball stage, 225°
(when tested in cold water). Pour onto a buttered surface. When cool enough to handle, butter hands and start pulling as you do for taffy.
When honey holds its shape and is a golden color, twist into ropes
and place back on the counter top or baking sheet and cut into pieces with scissors. Wrap individually with wax paper.
In a heavy saucepan boil 2 C honey to the hard ball stage, 225°
(when tested in cold water). Pour onto a buttered surface. When cool enough to handle, butter hands and start pulling as you do for taffy.
When honey holds its shape and is a golden color, twist into ropes
and place back on the counter top or baking sheet and cut into pieces with scissors. Wrap individually with wax paper.




1 comment:
MEMORIES! I must try this...is it really that simple? I know it won't be as easy at the recipe makes it sound...can you tell I am a bit nervous? Wish me luck!
Post a Comment