Schedules:
Studies have been made that show that schedules for ALL ages of children and teenagers are needed and benefit the child. Now I am not talking a rigid schedule that makes them crazy and you. But more a general schedule, or routine rather that gives them the security they naturally seek. now that I am a grown up, I have learned that you ALWAYS have to have a schedule. I personally get more depressed in the day, when I have no direction in my life..... and that is how children are as well. If you have a teenager and they sleep until noon, they will probably be more moody and feel unsuccessful in life. A general plan that they know is going to happen, will help them: have the proper amount of sleep, feel accomplished everyday when they complete what they need to do, It will help them when they are returning back to school-they will adjust faster, it will give them enough structure, that they feel happy and secure, and hopefully you won't hear so much, I Am Bored! It has been proven that children with behavior problems do better with a schedule.
Homework:
Talk to any teacher and they will tell you how much a child loses, educational wise, through the Summer. I can't tell you even this year, how many people are shocked that I make my kids do homework through the Summer. In the fall your child plays catch up for at lease two months. Last year EVEN WITH DOING SUMMER READING, my daughter went down two levels in her reading. I was so discouraged, until I thought about where she would have been if I hadn't done what I did.
Bored:
If you don't want to hear I am bored all Summer, take some time and plan things to do. Do something as a family daily. Go to the park, have a picnic by dads work, go on a family bike ride. Yesterday I spent the evening jumping on the tramp with my kids. It was great and they loved it. Also have activities, projects, etc. of things to do everyday that will make them happy and feel special. Sidewalk chalk, watercolors, a special movie, bubbles, jump ropes, play dough.
Work:
Make them do work. It is not going to hurt your child to learn to work. It will help them. In my doctors office it says that if you want a child that is successful, goes to college, has a good job, is married with a family, and overall is happy........ teach them to work. Does that mean they get to be your slave? No! But they can be expected to do jobs and learn from them. Just remember the jobs will not be done perfect. That is o.k., as they get older they will improve.
Family:
I have worked very hard to get the family that I have. And so my next thought is, spend time with your child. If all Summer long you are trying to be somewhere else, instead of at home with your kids, you are showing them that they are not important. Always eat dinner together (unless on a date of course), do activities together, take time to talk to them, vacation together, and always let them know that your priority is them. Likewise do not let your child be away from the home everyday, all day. They also need to learn to be a family and learn that you can work together and play together. Your child's best friends in life will not be a friend, but family. Take opportunities to grow closer as a family. In my family we are NOT perfect. We have lots of times when life seems to be falling apart. But I think one thing my husband and I have always done, is put the children first and our family first. Friends, cars, sports, running, shopping, etc. always are second to our children. If you show them, they will know by example what is important.
Well that is some thoughts I have been having today. I might add more later, but just remember that Summer is a great happy time. Enjoy it! A song by Trace Atkins is called You're going to miss this, really touches me. I know no matter how stressful life with little kids can be, I know I am going to miss it. Take sometime to google that song. For me it always makes me remember to be patient and loving.




1 comment:
Thank you Andrea, I needed this reminder!!
Post a Comment