Thursday, October 22, 2009

Alphabet Games!

I found this on the Internet a long time ago, and can't remember where it was from. I thought it had good information though, so I thought I would post it.
Alphabet Games
Letter Hide and Seek---Each morning hide six to eight letters around the room in places where the children are likely to come across them in work and play.
Letters in the Mail--Place cut out letters in envelopes adressed to children
Alpha-bag--Place several letters in a bag, pull one out at a time and go for a letter hunt.
Alphabet Hokey-Pokey (give them a letter and sing the song "put your letter A in, put your letter A out...")
Find your Partner--Pass out enough paris of upper and lower case letters so that each child is holding a letter. Children match up with letters.
Letter Walk--Look for letters as you walk in and around the building.
What letter Could it be? Hve a set of alphabet cards. Start to pass a letter card around the circle. Say "Stop". The child with the card holds it up. The group says "1,2,3, what letter could it be?" Letter is identified and game continues.
A Tisket, A Tasket
Body Letter writing--Have children write letters in the air using different body parts.
Letter Hopscotch
Twenty Questions--Using an alphabet chart or marker board, the teacher says, "I'm thinking of a letter. Can you guess what it is?"
Guess What?--Make a set of 3-D letters, palce in a container. Children choose a letter blindfolded and tries to identify the letter by feeling the shape of the letter.
Write and Wipe--The teacher writes a letter on a marker board. Children are asked to identify the letter and write on their marker board.
Gone Fishing--Make a fishing pole with a magnet on the end. Children fish for magnetized letters to identify (paper clips work well on the letters)

No comments: