I am thinking about World Issues, National Issues, Local Issues, and Race Issues in association with our children. Little people with adult opinions. Certain football teams suck, Mexicans are horrible and shouldn't be allowed into our country, Special Needs Kids are weird and should be teased, wheel chairs are scary, the president is evil, Immigrants shouldn't be in our country, certain countries and their people are horrible, etc. Have you heard kids expressing things like this? Where are they getting this? I would hear kids talking in scouts and figured that their parents must have these pretty strong views. But when my own child made a comment about hating all immigrants, because she doesn't like one that goes to her school, I was floored. I realized that she didn't get this from me, but where is she getting it? My sister in law shared with me an experience of her being at school and her child told a little black child that his mom doesn't help black kids. She was floored because her little boy has 4 black cousins (my kids). I have had my daughter come home many times in tears because of something someone has said about her skin, hair, or size. Last year when Obama was going to talk to the schools, each of my children came home with stuff others had said. Now one of my daughters loves Obama cause he is black like her. Personally I don't share her opinion, but that doesn't mean I am going to make her hate him. My other daughter asked me one time if I hated the 9-11 hijackers. I could honestly say that what they did was wrong, that they had a ton to learn in heaven, but that I didn't hate them. I felt sorry for them that they had to grow up the way they did and learn to be bad as little children. I also am touched my the poverty in Mexico, and don't wonder why people are trying to come here to a great country. I understand, but I do think we need stronger borders. But instead of focusing on that part, I choose to teach my children about poverty, and why Mexicans want to come here, and why they want to leave where they live.
So here is my conclusion.
1. I think they are getting this from all around us. T.V., Channel 1, Reading, Listening to Parents, Other kids on the play ground, Teachers, etc.
2. We can't control others views, and what our kids hear, but we can control what we are saying and letting our kids hear us say.
3. Kids can misunderstand things that you say and repeat them in a misunderstood way, that might really embarrass you.
4. Above all else, we need to teach our children to love all. Stop the scare of differences and hate, teach them to love and accept differences.
5. Anyone that deals with lots of kids on a regular basis will tell you. Kids repeat, kids share, kids talk lots. If you don't want something shared, don't talk in front of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
very true!
Post a Comment