Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Healthy Afterschool Snack!

Everyday my kids come home and have an Apple for their after school snack (because my mom has a big orchard- and we have lots) Lately I have been trying to dry them in my drier. I have made lots of different flavors: Jello sprinkled (they are a little more sticky), cinnamon, pumpkin spice, plain, and Carmel flavored. I am going to give them to my kids all Winter long, so they are eating healthy.
I had someone today tell me that she considers candy a snack. WHAT? I guess either I am clueless, or a very mean mom. Either way my kids are not having an after school snack of candy, but of dry apples. And the flavoring on them might not be healthy, but the amount put on, makes it really not a big deal.
I find that my kids eat a whole tray while I am putting them in, and a whole tray as I am putting them in bags. I know they will love them. So if you have lots of extra apples at your home, dry them.
Other hint: My kids eat more apples that come out of that fancy dancy peeler that slices, peels, and makes it into a curly pile of apples than they do just eating the apple. They even eat the shavings of skin. So if your child doesn't like apples, you might want to try that, because it is really fun.

1 comment:

Jana said...

I wish we had lots of extra apples! Sounds yummie!